Today you are going to read complete our 10 best Yamaha Alto saxophones review – with a buying guide. Yamaha is one of the best brands for manufacturing the best quality of musical instruments. They are very popular, and they’ve got a legendary history of manufacturing different sorts of musical instruments. Since 1887, it has produced many instruments and worked its way up to being the most popular musical instrument manufacturing company.
Yamaha produces almost all kinds of musical instruments. More particularly, alto saxophones. Because in this article, we’re going to discuss the 10 best Yamaha alto saxophones. The popularity of saxophones is increasing day by day as it beats the other mainstream instruments.
So, have you decided to play the saxophones? Then why not go for Yamaha? Why don’t you buy Yamaha alt saxophones to proceed with your hobby? What is holding you back? Don’t know which one to choose from?
Well, I’ve given you the list of 10 best Yamaha alto saxophones below. So, it should narrow down your options. Moreover, I’ve also included a buying guide section for you so that you don’t find difficulties in choosing the saxophone you like.
What is a Saxophone?
We’ve been going on about saxophones, which ones to choose, how to choose, and all regarding that. In case you don’t know what, a saxophone is, a saxophone is a type of woodwind instrument. The main component of a saxophone is brass, and you can play it with a single-reed mouthpiece. This musical instrument is mainly used in classical music performances like chamber music, orchestra, chamber band, solo repertoire, and so on.
Alto Saxophones, also known as alto sax, is the most popular type of saxophone. It’s always played at the pitch E flat. Like other saxophones, it has clarinets that is a cane and a mouthpiece joined to each other in a way that when you blow into the reed, it vibrates and blocks the air. As a result, a sound is produced.
Something About Yamaha…
Yamaha Corporation is a vast company having products in almost every mechanical field there is in the world. Starting from motor cars to musical instruments. They’ve their contributions everywhere. In the world of musical instruments, they manufacture pianos, saxophones, drumsticks, guitar, drums, and so on. All of these have a lot of varieties in them. Among so many options, today we’ll discuss 10 Yamaha alto saxophones which means they also had other options for you to select from.
In a Hurry Up…
Short on time? Need some quick suggestions? Don’t worry, I have this section prepared just for you. Of course, it’d be better for you to read through the detailed review. In that way, you’ll get to know more. However, I understand that you can’t read through the whole article. So, before moving on to the detailed review section, I’ll give you some quick recommendations and why you should choose it among the best Yamaha Alto Saxophones.
Yamaha YAS-875 EX Alto Saxophone is one of the most convenient saxophones manufactured by Yamaha. Its convenient exclusive design along with some special features make it the ultimate Yamaha Alto Saxophones. Another convenient feature that makes it stand out among the rest is that you can switch between alto sax and tenor saxophone. Moreover, if you’re a professional, you can still enjoy playing this because of its high-quality sound.
Yamaha YSS-875 EX is another professional saxophone with extraordinary sound quality and ergonomic design. It has adjustable thumb rest like all other models. However, there is one thing that is very unique and makes it very convenient than other soprano saxophones. There are two types of necks on it. One is curved and another is straight. Both can produce different sorts of sounds. If you’re a professional, you might like this saxophone.
Yamaha YVS-100 Venova Casual Wind Instrument is a different sort of instrument in this list. Though it’s not like regular saxophone, it sounds exactly like one. Considerably cheaper, but you can get the full feel of playing the saxophone. This is because this YVS-100 Venova wind instrument has got the mouthpiece and reeds exactly like the saxophone. Moreover, it’s easy to carry, super portable unlike any kind of saxophones. You can learn to play saxophones and learn the notes before going for the professional saxophones.
Now that we’re done with the quick suggestions on the 3 most recommended Yamaha Alto Saxophones, let’s get on to the detailed review section!
Top 10 Best Yamaha Alto Saxophones Reviews
Yamaha’s saxophones are the most reliable to purchase even when you’re buying the cheaper ones. Yamaha released the YTS-26 Tenor Saxophone model in 2012. This model is not only of high quality but also quite affordable. so, it’s perfect for those who’re starting their path in this sector.
The Yamaha YTS-26 has keys made of Nickel and the exclusive design of Yamaha ensures its durability. So, when you’re on the market and see this saxophone, just know that it will be not only durable but also a very instrument to play with.
Moreover, its mechanism for low B to C sharp is quite special. Because it ensures the consistency of closing the low C sharp key. As a result, it gives a clear response in even notes that show a low range of this instrument. This feature is very important for people starting to play saxophones, the new or the younger ones.
Moreover, I’ve already told you about its durability, to top it off, Yamaha reassures you by giving you a 3-year warranty if you’re having a problem with the instrument. So, why are you waiting? Check out the product in detail here!
- The Yamaha YTS-26 is tuned into the key of Bb.
- There is an adjustable thumb-rest so that you get precise and comfortable finger and hand positions.
- There is a redesigned neck receiver by which you can get a quick response. Because of it, you can also enhance the mechanical durability.
- The keys in the saxophone are nickel-plated. So, it’s durable and will not wear out so easily.
- This saxophone has a front F auxiliary key and key buttons made from polyester.
- There is a two-piece bell inside the saxophone.
- It has a yellow neck, bell, keys, and body made from brass and it got a gold polished finish.
- It has got a stylish neckpiece.
- This saxophone model comes with a hard case that protects it from its surroundings.
- It comes with a 4C mouthpiece, a ligature, cap, an extra polishing cloth, a cork grease, and a neck strap.
- This saxophone sounds great and you’d be very satisfied with the purchase.
- The saxophone is very durable and can last very long.
- The adjustable thumb-rest is very convenient.
- This saxophone is too expensive for you who’s struggling with the budget.
Yamaha Advantage YAS-200AD is one of the student alto sax models Yamaha released in 2011. It has keys plated with nickel so that they’re more durable and a newly designed case which makes it perfect for a student as an Advantage Alto Saxophone.
The Yamaha Advantage YAS-200AD keys are not only properly shaped and placed according to your probable demands, but also its full body is specially designed to increase its ergonomics. So, when you’re playing this alto sax you don’t face any kind of discomfort or problem.
The Yamaha mainly focused on speed, comfort, and playability while designing this alto sax model. Playing the Advantage YAS-200AD would feel so natural that it’d be easy for you to learn to play this sax comfortably full well.
If you want to know more about this sax and its specifications, click here.
- The resigned neck can give you quick responses and it’ll be easy to play.
- The structure of this saxophone is so strong that its mechanism is also sturdy and durable.
- It has an adjustable thumb-rest so that you can have a comfortable and precise hand and finger positions.
- It has an improved low B – C# connection to get a clear response on low range instrumental notes.
- The keys of Yamaha Advantage YAS-200AD are plated with nickel to ensure its durability and making it more resistant to wear.
- This alto sax is easy to control and navigate through.
- The body structure and key positions are good enough for a student.
- People with a lower budget can’t buy this alto sax. So, you need to make your budget higher before you can buy it.
Yamaha YAS-875 is arguably one of the best among the best alto saxophones, manufactured by Yamaha. The finishing they put into it is undoubtedly good. It has a comfortable, smooth, and soft body. Moreover, its ergonomic design is better than any other saxophones of other brands.
Yamaha YAS-875 EX alto saxophone is perfect to play in theatres as well as in studios. Moreover, it has a special octave mechanic. It ensures that you get a deeper timbre and a high defined core. Another special quality of this saxophone is that you can use it as both alto or tenor saxophone and switch between the two of them as you like.
If you want to check more about this amazing saxophone, click here!
- It has a highly polished and refined surface.
- Its design is ergonomic and made taking your efforts in concern so that you don’t face any problem while playing this saxophone.
- You can shift between alto saxophone and tenor saxophone.
- You can play it even when you’re a professional.
- The front lap is finely made, and you can adjust it easily.
- It’s tuned in to a high F sharp key.
- It has got optimized resistance and better intonation.
- The package is luxurious, and it contains an extra mouthpiece.
- The saxophone design is ergonomic and convenient for you to play.
- You can most use it as alto sax or tenor sax and you can do a shift between them conveniently.
- You can get an extra mouthpiece if the previous one becomes damaged somehow.
- Since it can work as both alto and tenor saxophone, it’s quite heavy in comparison.
- It is too expensive.
Yamaha YAS-82ZII custom Z alto saxophone is another one of Yamaha’s complicated models. It is mainly under the custom Z series which was introduced in 2003. Since the start, Yamaha has improved its instruments. Even after all those improvements, Yamaha held its origins in building instruments.
The YAS-82ZII has a newly designed engraving. The materials used in 82ZII ensure better quality sound and easy when it comes to playing. The manufacturers improved the front F key. Moreover, there are new adjustments to ensure a smooth playing style.
Great instruments are always appreciated. They are of great value to not only the players but also to those who are listening to them. This saxophone is the one that’ll help you reach your full potential. Because the sound it generates will motivate you to improve yourself to be better and better.
The design it has is very durable and lasts longer than most other alto harmonicas. To top it off, the Yamaha will give you a 5-year warranty. So, if you’re facing a problem, you can just complain about it to the authority, and they’ll fix or replace it for you. If you want to know more about this sax, click here!
- The Yamaha designed it by adding new features to it while keeping the classic functions.
- It has a robust construction, that is, it can handle rigorous training and constant performances.
- It has the new one-piece bell design which increases the softness of a tone and its resonating ability.
- Its mouthpiece is made from rubber and it increases the playing feel and louder sound.
- The tune is improved low B to C sharp.
- You can feel its greater quality sound and build.
- You can get a warranty for 5 years.
- It has got a strong, durable structure, and stylish appearance.
- This model is too expensive, but you can feel the quality if you’re a professional player.
Even though Yamaha claims that Yamaha YSS-475 II is an intermediate model, you can use it even if you’re a professional and not be disappointed by it. Because this Soprano model has many traits that a professional soprano saxophone has.
The Yamaha YSS-475 II Intermediate Soprano Saxophone sounds very sweet and it has a great immediate response. Moreover, its accuracy on intonation is not very common to get in normal intermediate soprano saxophones.
In addition to that, the YSS-475 II has a gold-colored lacquer body. It comes with a light backpack type case. You also get an SS-4C mouthpiece, a cap, a ligature, and some accessories. If you want to know more about this amazing model, click here!
- It has a gold polished body which looks very attractive in every way.
- There is a thumb hook to support your fingers properly. You can adjust it to your convenience.
- The saxophone is tuned into the key C.
- You can get a front F key and a high F sharp key.
- The saxophone has some head pivot screws tapered into it.
- You can get a backpack case and an extra SS-4C mouthpiece
- The SS-4C mouthpiece is a great addition to the saxophone.
- The ligature is better than most other saxophones.
- It’s too heavy to handle.
Yamaha YSS-675 professional soprano saxophone is a professional quality musical instrument manufactured by Yamaha. They launched it into the market in 2014 and it’s been creating a good name ever since. It has a natural feel to its keys, that is, they discourage the purpose of adapting into an uncomfortable or unnatural key configuration.
Yamaha YSS-675 soprano saxophone has an exclusive design such that its height, position, angle, and shape of the small finger rest is carefully designed. All of that because Yamaha wants to ensure complete comfort and a quick response for you.
Almost all the Yamaha alto saxophones have adjustable thumb rest. This is to provide you with more precision and comfortable finger and hand positions. The Yamaha YSS-675 is no exception to such a feature.
You might think that the Yamaha alto saxophones have structures according to the ease of mechanical work. But that is not how it is. They designed each of their saxophones according to the necessities you might have while playing. In the case of Yamaha YSS-675, they focused on speed, comfort, and overall ease of playing.
You can find this saxophone model in gold and silver colors. For further information, click here!
- It has a polished body finish.
- The keys of these saxophones are made from Polyester.
- There are pivot screws and they’re tapered like bullet heads.
- It has an adjustable hook for thumb resting.
- The saxophone is voiced to the key Bb.
- It comes with a saxophone case and an additional SS-4C mouthpiece.
- It has got great horn sounds, good for its price.
- You get an additional mouthpiece.
- It’s too pricey.
The Yamaha YSS-875 EX soprano saxophone has a black polished body, and its built structure is very impressive. The package includes the saxophone itself, a backpack with side and top handles on it, and an additional shoulder strap for your convenience. That shoulder strap is adjustable. So, you don’t need to be worried about not being able to use the shoulder strap.
The Yamaha YSS-875 EX has both curved and straight necks. So, you’ll have full flexibility while playing the soprano saxophone. Both the necks have their own music output type. The curved neck is for a darker tone whereas the straight neck will give you a cleaner and clinical tone.
The finger positioning of the keys is very convenient, so you’d find it easy to play. Especially their palm key positions. Because it promotes precise and easy playing while using this instrument. Also, do you like the saxophone? Then you can come and see our saxophone collections Yamaha YTS 62III Saxophone Review – Best Professional Tenor Saxophone and Jean Paul USA AS400 Student Alto Saxophone – The Best Saxophone on 2021 For New Player. I hope you like it.
The Yamaha YSS-875 EX mainly aims the professionals and semi-professional saxophone players. Because of its slight shrill sound and lack of moving the sound around, it’ll not be up to the taste of beginners or intermediate players. But the saxophone of this model is perfect for matching with other ranges of instruments. If you want to learn more about the instrument, click here!
- It has two G2 necks; one is straight, and the other is curved.
- You can adjust the font F key.
- Its body is polished and of gold color.
- It has improvised intonation and pleasant resistance to blowing into the saxophone.
- It comes with an additional case and mouthpiece.
- The body of this saxophone is made of brass.
- It has an ergonomic key design.
- The post rib plate is improved.
- The bell is made by hand.
- It’s too expensive but it’s okay since it’s a professional saxophone.
Yamaha’s Venova is an entirely different instrument than a typical saxophone. The Yamaha YVS-100 is created to motivate you to create more music. Although it looks nothing like a saxophone, it sounds exactly like one. You’ll feel very satisfied while playing this instrument.
It has simpler fingering positions, so you’d be very satisfied playing this instrument whether you’re a rookie or a professional. Venova casual wind instrument is perfect for creating melodies of any type, from powerful tones to delicate music.
The Yamaha YVS-100 Venova wind instrument’s technology is quite unique. Despite the appearance, they’re sound identical to saxophones with only a difference in appearance and the price. However, the reason behind its similar sound is that it uses the same mouthpiece and reeds as the saxophones.
Moreover, the fingering positions of so easy that even if you’re a beginner, you’d find it easy to play and learn the notes. The body of the Yamaha YVS-100 is made with ABS plastic. It is strong and sturdy. You can even wash this with water if you want.
It’s a smaller instrument. You can take it anywhere without much hassle. You’ll get a protective case with it to make it convenient to carry it around or even packing it in your luggage. However, if you want to know more, click here!
Let’s Watch A Video Review!
- The fingering positions are convenient and easy, just like a recorder.
- Tones generated by this Venova instrument is like a saxophone.
- It uses similar mouthpieces and reeds like soprano saxophones.
- It has a voice on the key of C and 2 octave ranges like chromatic tunes.
- The body is composed of ABS plastic.
- It’s very light in weight.
- Fingering positions are easy.
- It’s very cheap considering the same tune as saxophone.
- You can carry it around easily.
- The reeds are made of plastic which may sound awful if you’re a beginner.
Yamaha’s YAS series is the most popular series for alto saxophones. You might know them for being very beautifully designed, very easy to handle, and worth every penny. The Yamaha YAS-26 is not different in that case. In fact, the Yamaha YAS-26 alto saxophone has very improved features and durability.
Yamaha YAS-26 is one of the most standard models compared to other student alto saxophones. Though Yamaha’s older models are quite updated in comparison to its contemporary products, their new products sometimes can beat even some of the professional alto saxophones. YAS-26 looks almost like YAS-23, especially the pipes. Also, don’t forget to check my saxophone article Yamaha YAS-280 Saxophone – Full Review And Buying Guide on 2021
The Yamaha YAS-26 has an unbeatable sound and the best student-appropriate model. As a result, it becomes ideal for any student to practice with before switching to professional alto saxophones. Moreover, it has an upgraded tunic range from low B to C sharp connections, and the keys on it are plated with nickel.
Yamaha YAS-26 is mainly an entry-level student alto saxophone. But you might love it because of its professional-level specifications. In retrospect, you’re, low key, getting a semiprofessional alto saxophone with a lesser price. For more info, click here!
- It has a great lacquered design.
- Because of its internal structure and mouthpiece, it’s easy to blow.
- The saxophone has a new and improved neck design.
- There is a double-braced key tune of flat B to C sharp.
- This saxophone is sturdy.
- The thumb rest in here is adjustable to your convenience.
- The keys are plated with nickel.
- It has a new and unique neck design in it.
- It’s not too heavy like all other saxophones.
- You won’t be out of breath easily while playing it as it doesn’t have any wasted breath.
- The adjustable thumb rest is very convenient to play with and have a comfortable hold on the keys.
- The price is too high considering a student alto saxophone.
The Yamaha YAS-480 Alto saxophone is arguably the best intermediate alto saxophone. Ever since its release on the market, the YAS-480 has become one of the most popular alto saxophone models by Yamaha. Its intonation is accurate and precise. Moreover, it also has some rich and nice tune to it.
The visual appeal and the unique design of YAS-480 are like that of a high-level alto saxophone. There is a bell which is engraved by hand that adds some extra style to the saxophone.
The saxophone is tuned in the key of E and this is designed for intermediate players and above. It’s sort of hard for a beginner to get the pitch right in this Yamaha YAS-480 alto saxophone. However, if you as a beginner practice more, then you’d be eventually able to get a hang on it.
Yellow-colored brass is the main component by which the body is prepared. When you see it up close, you can observe the iconic YAS-62 styled neck. The manufacturers mainly prepared the keys of this alto saxophone with yellow brass and polyester. AS-4C type mouthpiece is used in this model, YAS-480 alto saxophone.
The seesaw designed keys for the left hand is so comfortable and it’s going to make your playing experience easier. Its design is mainly inspired by some of their higher quality saxophones. The Yamaha manufacturers redesigned the neck of YAS-480 to be adjustable.
So, now it’s going to be easier for you to choose from the neck options that are more suitable for you. Moreover, it has some separate keyguards and additional and adjustable screw cap stoppers. So, you can feel how convenient this Yamaha alto saxophone is. If you want to learn more, click here!
- The saxophone is plated with silver.
- Its intonation is accurate.
- You can get a quick response and a warm and high-quality tone.
- There is a pattern on the bell that is engraved manually.
- It has a YAS-62 styled neck.
- You’ll get a separate keyguard, and the screw cap stoppers are adjustable.
- The saxophone is tuned to the key of E and it has improved the low B to C sharp key system.
- Its build is sturdy, strong, and all kinds of premium materials are used in this saxophone.
- The sound you’ll get from is accurate, rich, and warm.
- It doesn’t have enough features to mitigate all you could want as a professional.
- There are too many pieces and dials which if you’re a beginner it might be too difficult for you to handle.
Yamaha Alto Saxophones: Buying Guide
Yamaha manufactures plenty of high-quality saxophones. So, choosing the right ones among them is not an easy task. In this section, I’ll show you what to consider and how to choose the best Yamaha Alto Saxophones.
How can you select the right Yamaha Alto Saxophones?
As I said before, this is not an easy task. But if you look around and get to know detailed information on the alto saxophones, you might just be able to choose the best Yamaha Alto Saxophones.
The considerable factors –
Experience level – This is the most important thing to think about if you’re going to buy an alto saxophone. Beginners to intermediate level players can play any kind of alto saxophones. So, if you’re at that level, you don’t need to worry much because you have a lot of options in front of you.
But if you’re more experienced, skilled, or an expert, you need to look further into the market. However, you can also consider checking out Yamaha Alto Saxophones in that case, because they have a lot of options for you too.
Budget – The second most important factor to consider while buying Yamaha Alto Saxophones. There are a lot of options for you to choose from in a different price range. So, choose your alto sax according to the budget you have.
If you’re an adult beginner, you should put some more money into your alto saxophone. It will help you work on your pitch, sound quality, and durability. However, if you’re looking for professional alto saxophones, it’s better to buy it within 1000 dollars if you’re buying your first professional saxophone.
Other Factors – There are other factors such as the music quality, brand new one or a second hand one, and so on. Moreover, you also need to learn how to tune your saxophone. For that, you can also buy a tuner.
If you’re a seasoned harmonica, then you’ll know which alto saxophone and what kind of alto saxophones to buy. You can inspect your saxophone very carefully on your own. However, if you’re a beginner or intermediate saxophone player, the shopkeeper will be glad to show you the way to choose the ultimate saxophone.
Cleaning Your Alto Saxophone
You can clean every part of a saxophone such as a mouthpiece, the body, and the neck. Moreover, you can also clean its interior and exterior parts. You should clean the mouthpiece regularly to disinfect it and to stop obstruction. You can clean its interiors and other parts easily using a cloth.
It’s important to clean the interior regularly. Because if you don’t, dust and dirt particles will accumulate inside the saxophone which is unhygienic as the dust particles can get inside when you try to blow in it. Moreover, the sound gets low pitched as the dust particles obstruct the sound from passing.
You don’t need to take too much trouble in cleaning the exterior of the Yamaha Alto Saxophones. To clean the exterior of that saxophone, all you need to do is just wipe it out with a piece of cloth. It’s easy to maintain a saxophone. Just prevent any kind of dust, grease, dirt, etc. from accumulating on the instrument.
Testing a Saxophone
Yamaha Alto Saxophones are tested multiple times before launching onto the market. Normally, they test their saxophones in the factories while manufacturing the instruments. So, you’re looking at the best products there is at the time of buying your very own saxophone.
The manufacturers test saxophones by continuously checking out the horns and making sure if everything works properly. The main parts that they test are the intonation, leaking pads, and key functions. Also, do you like the piano? Then you can come and see our piano collections Yamaha P115 Digital Piano Review – Perfect Piano for A Pianist. I hope you like it.
The intonation refers to the tuning of the saxophone. For that, you basically need to move the mouthpiece towards the neck to produce high pitched sound and vice versa. For the leaking pads, you must watch if they’re in the proper position or not. But in the case of the key function, you need to press the keys down and check if there is any quick response all the way back to the initial position. Checking the sound while doing it is also another important procedure for checking the quality of the saxophone.
Frequently Asked Questions
Since we’re done with the review and buying guide part, you might still have some basic questions to ask. It’s okay. I’ve taken some of your most asked questions and prepared this part just for you.
Questions.1. Are there any replaceable parts in a Saxophone?
The main part of a saxophone is the reed. It’s attached to the mouthpiece with a cord-like thing that produces sound. When you blow into the mouthpiece, the neck and the body contain bell-like parts that produce sound. These all parts are replaceable. But it would be very expensive to replace the parts.
Questions.2. Is it wise to buy a secondhand saxophone?
There is a saying that the more you practice with a musical instrument, the better it sounds. So, you might have a dilemma in choosing to play an already honed instrument or buy a brand new one. Both have their ups and downs. If you go for the new one, you’ll get everything brand new. You can polish it as you like. It will have every part in working conditions and will not look worn out. So, in my opinion, it’s better to buy a new saxophone instead of using an old one.
Questions.3. Can I learn to play the Saxophone all by myself?
Learning to play a new instrument is kind of hard. You’ll often have difficulties tuning the instrument, getting the lesson, and pitch right. So, it’s better if you take help from someone at the start. Once you get a hang of the saxophone, you can improve all by yourself.
Yamaha is a very popular brand for manufacturing a lot of top-quality products. Considering Yamaha Alto Saxophones, Yamaha is one of the best brands and they’ve been maintaining their position for a long time. Even though new alto Saxophone companies came into the market, they couldn’t outrank Yamaha. Yamaha alto saxophones are not only one of the best ones in the industry, but also, they’re respected as an ideal company to manufacture saxophones. So, if you’re thinking about buying a saxophone, Yamaha’s alto saxophones are the best ones to go for.